Monday, July 13, 2020

Seek Him

https://www.pexels.com/photo/playful-black-little-girl-hiding-in-closet-4545972/
When King Solomon died, the people of Israel divided into two nations, each claiming to be the favored of God. Though neither kingdom was entirely righteous, the kingdom of Judah, whose capital was Jerusalem, eventually turned again to the worship of Jehovah. First, however, they suffered terrible wars and humiliating defeat at the hands of the Egyptians. King Asa recognized the need for repentance and led the people of Judah through a restoration and a rebuilding process, not just of their capital, but of their faith. The Lord called the prophet Azariah to bring a message of hope to the humble king and his repentant people: 

And he [Azariah] went out to meet Asa, and said unto him, Hear ye me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin; The Lord is with you, while ye be with him; and if ye seek him, he will be found of you.... But when they in their trouble did turn unto the Lord God of Israel, and sought him, he was found of them.
-- 2 Chronicles 15:2, 4

The suffering of Judah and Jerusalem under their wicked and faithless kings became a tool to teach them humility and to seek the Lord. It was a painful lesson, but one that brought great dividends when they learned it.

My troubles and afflictions are designed to turn me to God. Rather than punishments, they are inducements to seek out the One who can help me when all other help fails. And when I seek Him, I find He is already near and has been by me all along.

I should never despair or fear to seek the Lord. Nothing I have done or can do can diminish His love for me. I can disappoint and displease Him, but He always loves me perfectly and is anxious to engage with me and draw me near to Him when I sincerely search for Him. Despite my shortcomings and mistakes, I can confidently and even boldly approach the throne of grace, for my God is truly gracious, forgiving, and loving. If He was willing to let the stubborn and hardhearted Israelites seek Him out in their times of trouble, surely He will let me find Him too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.