Sunday, November 29, 2020

Are Temple Prayers Better?

Jesus had just finished improvising a small whip and was about to clear the great temple in Jerusalem of the moneychangers and the merchants when He reminded the "den of thieves" of the original purpose of the temple they defiled:

And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer;
--Matthew 21:13

The temple is a particularly good place for me to pray. Being in the House of the Lord puts me in a mindset to pray. In the temple I set aside the distractions of my busy life. I am surrounded with symbols of God's presence and love. I see Christ's atonement represented in the ordinances. I am invited to participate in the true order of prayer. And I am surrounded by others in the attitude and spirit of prayer. God does not hear better in the temple -- there is nothing mystical about it. I can simply be in a better attitude to pray when I am in His house. My prayers are not more acceptable or effective in the temple, but I can feel more acceptable and effective when I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.