Sunday, February 7, 2021

Jesus Prays for Me

On the night of Jesus's betrayal, after concluding the Last Supper, knowing He would shortly be separated from His disciples, Jesus offered the Intercessory Prayer in which He prayed for His friends. Among the petitions He presented to His Father were these words:

I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
--John 17:9

I want Jesus to pray for me. Therefore, I must come out of the world. He does not pray for those who embrace the world, but only for those who embrace Him. I have made the covenants and entered the ordinances that make me His child. I have taken His name upon me. While I fail constantly to live up to my covenants, I am headed in the right direction. 

I am less of the world today than fifty years ago, forty years ago, or even ten years ago. As imperfect and weak as I am, I am giving myself to my Savior. And so, I believe He is praying for me. His prayers are so much better than mine. Surely the Father hears and answers the prayers of His Beloved Son. For this and many more reasons, my hope is in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.