Sunday, May 8, 2022

The Dynamic Duo


Section 88 of the Doctrine and Covenants is a wide ranging revelation through the Prophet Joseph Smith meant to bring insights and messages of peace to the fledgling Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Among the instructions contained in this revelation is the following:

Also, I give unto you a commandment that ye shall continue in prayer and fasting from this time forth.
--Doctrine and Covenants 88:76

Prayer and fasting are a dynamic duo in my arsenal of spiritual tools. They go hand in hand, working together to increase my ability to draw closer to the Lord. While I can pray without fasting, to fast without praying is simply going hungry. Fasting is the symbol of my sacrifice, reminiscent of the ancient Israelites' sacrifices. God no longer wants animal sacrifices on stone altars, however. Christ taught that after He fulfilled the Law of Moses, my sacrifice is to be a broken heart and a contrite spirit. Fasting lays my inner animal on the altar of my heart.

Fasting is a turbo charger for prayer. When I fast, I subjugate symbolically the appetites of the natural man to the desires of my spirit. In my humbled state, I can more easily receive the impressions and whisperings of the Holy Ghost. My prayers can be more inspired and in tune with God's will for me, which is the whole purpose of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.