Sunday, July 3, 2022

Praying with the Tongue of Angels

In the prophet Nephi's final sermon recorded in the Book of Mormon, he spoke extensively on prayer and the role of the Holy Ghost. He taught the following about the ability of the Holy Ghost to give us the language of angels:

Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?
-- 2 Nephi 32:2

The Holy Ghost enables me to speak the language of angels, which is the language of God. This promise certainly applies to the speech I use in prayer. I do not have to be limited to my imperfect mortal language as I speak to God if I let the Holy Ghost help me in my prayers. I find it interesting that I use prayer to invite the Holy Ghost to be with me, and the Holy Ghost invites me to pray in a better way to Heavenly Father. 

With the help of the Holy Ghost, I can speak God's language, which may require no words at all. C. S. Lewis spoke of wordless prayer, of communing with God without language, as perhaps the purest form of prayer. Maybe praying by the Spirit with the tongue of angels was what he was trying to describe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.