Sunday, March 21, 2021

Open the Door to Closeness

The Apostle Paul counseled the saints in Colosse:

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.
--Colossians 3:17

Gratitude is a key element of prayer. It is not just common courtesy. It opens my eyes to all I have already received, reminding me of all God has already done for me, strengthening my faith and increasing my patience. 

The instruction in this verse is to give thanks by Christ, meaning giving thanks from His perspective. In other words, what would Jesus be thankful for in my situation? I learn to see things the way the Savior sees them, which draws me closer to my Father in heaven and to my Savior. 

One of the most important results of prayer is to draw closer to God, and gratitude is the door I open to gain that closeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.