Sunday, March 7, 2021

Unlocking the Windows of Heaven

As the Apostle Paul wrapped up his letter to the saints in Philippi, he counseled them:

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
--Philippians 4:6

In the popular parlance of today, he might have said, "Let go and let God. Do not be anxious about anything. Just let God know what you need and trust Him to take care of you in His way and in His time. And be thankful in all things. Be grateful for what you have and what you get, always trusting the Lord to give you His best."

According to Paul's instructions, I am to let God know of my requests. In other words, Heavenly Father expects me to ask Him for things. So, what should my prayer requests to the Supreme Being be about? 

Nephi testified, "I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss" (2 Nephi 4:35). How do I avoid asking "amiss?" Amiss means to be wrong, in appropriate, not quite right. So, how do I ensure that my requests are correct and appropriate so God will give liberally to me?

The answer is personal revelation. When I take the time during prayer to focus my mind and listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost, God will lay upon my heart the very things for which I should ask. He will tell me exactly what He wants to give me. He will not, however, force His blessings upon me. He waits for me to exercise my agency and request the favors He has prepared for me. When I ask, I turn the key to unlock the windows of heaven through which God can pour out magnificent blessings (see Malachi 3:10). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.