Sunday, June 20, 2021

Getting On the Right Track

Photo by Genine Alyssa Pedreno-Andrada from Pexels
The Apostle John wrote:

And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
--1 John 5: 14-15

The key to getting answers to prayer is to ask according to God's will. In other words, if I learn to ask for that which He already plans to give me, the answer is a slam dunk. I can't miss. When I know of a surety that I have asked correctly, I can have complete confidence I will receive what I asked for. 

So, if I want answers to my prayers, I must learn to listen to the Holy Spirit, who reveals to me the mind and will of God, and then I have to go with it. When I stop fighting with God about what I want and submit to Him for what He wants, everything goes a lot smoother. 

God is going to get His way sooner or later anyway. I might as well sign up for the program right up front and get on the right track early.

2 comments:

  1. This struck a chord with me because I've learned about this personally over the last year (perhaps surprisingly, it didn't really have much to do with the pandemic). Sometimes it takes a prayer to find out if it's okay to ask for a particular thing, and if the answer is yes, then that confidence comes in asking for that thing. It seems kind of "meta" to ask if you can ask for something, but I have found it to lead me to answers to prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts, Ben. Praying to learn how to pray is one of the many paradoxes the Lord seems to love.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.