Sunday, June 27, 2021

Sweet Incense of Prayer

Photo by Tetyana Kovyrina from Pexels
In the Apostle John's highly symbolic Revelation, he received a series of visions. He recorded one of the visions as follows:

And when he [an angel] had taken the book [from the Lamb of God], the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.
--Revelation 5:8

A central feature of the original temple worship of the ancient Hebrews was the altar of incense on which sweet-smelling sage, wood, and oils were burned. The rising smoke represented the prayers of the people ascending to heaven (see Exodus 30:1).

My prayer should be like the smoke of incense, constantly and gently rising up unto God. When it burns within me, it lifts me and permeates the very atmosphere around me. My prayers can mingle with the incense of others until it becomes a beautiful cloud of gratitude and yearning, of hope and peace. It is the very air of God's kingdom. If I want to know what it feels like to live in the presence of God, I should surround myself with prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.