Sunday, February 27, 2022

Giving Voice to My Prayers

Joseph Smith had completed the translation of the Book of Mormon, with Oliver Cowdery acting as scribe. The manuscript was ready for publication. Joseph had located a printing establishment in the nearby town of Palmyra, New York, under the proprietorship of E. B. Grandin. The printer was dubious about the project. If the book did not sell, Grandin would not make a profit. And so, he asked Joseph to put up the cost of the printing as surety. Grandin would have his money for the job regardless of the sales potential of Joseph's "gold bible." 

Joseph turned to Martin Harris. Contemplating mortgaging his farm (over his wife's vehement protests) to raise the money, Martin wanted assurance that Joseph's request was a commandment from God. Joseph received the revelation now known as Section 19 in the Doctrine and Covenants as God's reply. Martin got more than he bargained for, but it is a marvelous gift to the Church of Jesus Christ. The revelation speaks of the power of Christ, the requirement for all people to repent, Christ's suffering that accompanied the Atonement, a commandment to preach the gospel to the world, and a specific directive to Martin Harris to stop coveting his own property and provide Joseph with the money for the printer.

Among the general commandments given to Martin and applicable to all is this verse about prayer:

And again, I command thee that thou shalt pray vocally as well as in thy heart; yea, before the world as well as in secret, in public as well as in private.
--Doctrine and Covenants 19:28

Prayers in all forms and in all places are not only acceptable to the Lord but are a commandment. Praying with others is as much a part of our prayer life as praying alone. Leading others in prayer is a form of sharing our faith. Our prayers may be instructive to those who hear us when we are sincere, humble and honest, practicing no hypocrisy. Those who are weak in prayer may be strengthened by our prayers.  

The combination I struggle with is private vocal prayer. I am satisfied that God hears the prayers in my heart, which I speak aloud in my head but not with my mouth. I live in my head, and that is where my prayers resonate. I have not been able to get comfortable with sending them out into the still air around me. Yet, I have been told that additional power is to be found in speaking private prayers out loud. 

I can only assume God wants us to speak aloud for good reason. Perhaps I just need to take this principle on faith and watch for the fruits. This may be one more piece to the puzzle of why I feel like I have not fully given my whole heart to God. Perhaps the piece I have never been able to let go of is vocal prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.