Sunday, March 6, 2022

The Song of the Heart

Shortly after the restored Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was officially organized, Joseph Smith received a revelation directing his wife, Emma Smith, to create a hymnbook to use in the worship services of the Church. Christ explained why hymns are important and how they figure into the worship practices of the Saints.

For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.
--Doctrine and Covenants 25:12

Prayer can take many forms. I can pray silently or vocally, in private or in public. I pray when I listen to and participate in the prayers of others. 

Music can also be a form of prayer. Beautiful words and melodies can express my faith and feelings to God, which is a good definition of prayer. 

Art in almost any form can be a prayer. Even my daily work and service can be a form of prayer if they are directed towards God and fulfill His will.

I will never find myself on the stage of American Idol or The Voice, but when I sing my prayers to God, I can still get the golden ticket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.