Sunday, March 20, 2022

Invite the Spirit through Prayer

Section 42 of the Doctrine and Covenants was revealed to Joseph Smith in the early part of 1831, less than a year after the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was organized, and was identified by him as the "law of the Church." It specified principles by which the holders of the priesthood were to administer the Church and operate within it. 

The first principle of administration set forth in the revelation directed the Elders of the Church to preach the gospel to the world. This general commandment to teach and preach included the instruction to teach by the Spirit, meaning to teach as the Holy Ghost prompts and dictates. Within that instruction is the following injunction: 

And the Spirit shall be given unto you by the prayer of faith; and if ye receive not the Spirit ye shall not teach.
--Doctrine and Covenants 42:14

We typically emphasize the second part of this verse. But I want to draw attention today to the first phrase. Before I can have the Holy Ghost's direction in what I teach, I must know how to acquire the presence of the Holy Ghost in my life.

This verse states clearly that I access the power of the Holy Ghost through prayer. Though I may have received the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands following my baptism, I activate His influence in my life by asking for it. In other words, the bestowal of the gift of the Holy Ghost affords me the opportunity to have the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit, but the ordinance does not ensure that I will always retain that companionship.

The Holy Ghost resides with me only by my invitation. He honors my agency. He is easily offended by sin, both physical and mental. Hence, I must be constant in my repentance to resolve the offenses I give to the Holy Ghost through impure actions and thoughts. But I should not assume, simply because I have repented, that the Holy Ghost automatically takes up residence with me again. According to this revealed principle about how the Spirit operates, I must ask in faith for Him to return and abide with me.

I cannot take the Holy Spirit for granted. I must pray to the Father that He will send the Spirit to be with me, not only when I teach, but in all things. Only by asking and inviting can I experience the privilege of the gift of the Holy Ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.