Sunday, April 10, 2022

A Pattern for Acceptable Prayer


At a conference of the Church of Jesus Christ in June of 1831, Joseph Smith inquired of the Lord to know what missions the elders of the Church should perform following the conference. He received instructions for a number of men to preach the gospel.

But then the Lord gave instructions about a "pattern" by which the elders could avoid being deceived in spiritual matters. Part of the pattern included this statement about prayer:

Photo by Pavel Danilyuk: https://www.pexels.com/photo/an-elderly-man-looking-at-a-photo-album-8057029/
Wherefore he that prayeth, whose spirit is contrite, the same is accepted of me if he obey mine ordinances.
--Doctrine and Covenants 52:15

To be contrite is to feel exceedingly sorry for having committed a sin. So, to possess a contrite spirit is to recognize my failures to live up to God's standards and to experience sincere sorrow for disappointing Him. I must know I have done wrong and I truly wish to do better.  

"Spirit" in this context means my character and disposition. A contrite spirit, therefore, is a deep seated characteristic of ongoing sorrow for ongoing sin. I recognize my imperfections and the distance they create between me and my perfect God, and I am sorry I cannot live up to His standard of perfection. I genuinely desire to be better, and I strive for improvement, even in the face of inevitable failure. 

Though I know I won't achieve perfection in this life, Christ gives me hope that I can at least improve. He washes away my repented sins so that my improvements are not smothered by the weight of my past failures. 

It is in this spirit, then, of contrition and hope that I pray. And this kind of prayer is acceptable to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.