Sunday, April 3, 2022

Promises and Conditions

And if ye are purified and cleansed from all sin, ye shall ask whatsoever you will in the name of Jesus and it shall be done. But know this, it shall be given you what you shall ask.
--Doctrine and Covenants 50:29-30

The commandment and promise to "ask, and ye shall receive" is repeated many times in the scriptures. The promise comes, however, with a condition. I must first seek to be forgiven and purified, and then I may seek all else that is needful. Justification and sanctification are most needful in my life if I am striving to become a disciple of Jesus Christ. Everything else in mortality is secondary. If I am in God's grace, the rest will fall into place or will fall away.

Note, however, that the Lord warned the Prophet Joseph and the members of the early Church to be careful about what they asked for, for the promise is sure that they would receive what they asked. I must be in tune with the Holy Ghost so that my asking is aligned with God's will. Sometimes God's benevolent answer to a selfish prayer is No, but sometimes the answer is Yes—to my detriment and learning.

2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely true. Some time back I was about to ask for a particular thing, and just before I made the utterance the Spirit jumped in and said very clearly, "Don't ask for that." And I immediately knew that it was because my request would have been granted, and also that it would have been the wrong thing for the person for whom I was praying. It was quite an eye-opening teaching moment. So I know that this principle is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience and for your second witness to a true principle.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.