Sunday, April 4, 2021

No Stopping

In Paul's letter to the saints in Thessalonica, the apostle listed in concise terms the way followers of Christ should live. Within his list is found this simple instruction. 

Pray without ceasing.
-- Thessalonians 5:17

It is a mystery to me how one can pray without ceasing, 24x7, and go about normal life. I am a single-minded individual with a one-track mind. Multi-tasking is not an option for me. I can do multi-switching, jumping from one track to another, but I am never on more than one track at a time. Switching, for me, is an inefficient process. I find myself expending more effort changing tracks and picking up the thread where I left off than I do getting the task done on either of the tracks.

I can pray in the gaps, however. Every day includes moments that are not occupied, minutes where I am not engaged in any particular task. Rather than wander in daydreams or look for some nonsense to occupy my thoughts, I can turn my neutral thoughts to prayer. 

For me, praying without ceasing means not giving up on prayer. Answers do not always come the way I want and in the time I want. Nevertheless, I must not stop praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.