Sunday, April 18, 2021

Nothing Wavering

The Apostle James wrote an open letter to the ancient Church in his day with counsel for the saints. Those in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are very familiar with verses 4-5 because they triggered young Joseph Smith to inquire of the Lord and receive the visitation from the Father and the Son that inaugurated the Restoration. We do not as often read verse 6, which contains an important element of effective prayer: 

But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering.
--James 1:6

Photo by Jolo Diaz from Pexels

I may doubt what I know, but I ought not doubt that I can get an answer. I must be firm and unwavering in my desire to receive knowledge. The Lord may pause in His answer to let me feel the need more keenly, so that I may prize the answer more fully when it comes, but He will always answer a sincere request. 

Faith is a belief in things unseen and unknown. I demonstrate my faith when I persist despite the void of evidence that I have been heard. Faith grows as I carry on in what I believe is right even when my efforts seem futile. 

God's primary goal is to increase my faith. In His wisdom and love, that may mean that He must delay His response. "Faith worketh patience," which is a critical virtue. In patience I will find my answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts about this week's post. All opinions and points of view are welcome, regardless of the commenter's religion or faith background. Because of the sacred nature of the topic of prayer, all comments will be reviewed before posting them to ensure that offensive, inappropriate, and off-topic comments do not appear on this site.